At the heart of any successful brand is a great logo. It is the backbone of a company’s advertising presence and provides both a first and lasting impression with consumers. The quality of a logo can tell a person a lot about your company. It is a powerful piece of information that can help sell your products and services and reinforce your brand identity. A poorly designed logo, on the other hand, can be confusing and may make your company seem unprofessional or offensive in the eyes of the consumer.
So what makes a great logo? Ask yourself, “Is my logo…”
- Simple? As David Ogilvy once said, “Keep it Simple, Stupid.” If you take a look at some of the most well-known brands, such as McDonalds, Nike, and Apple, you will notice that all of their logos are basic in design. Simple designs look clean and crisp, and are easier to remember.
- Relevant? A logo needs to represent the company and be relevant to the industry it serves or products it provides. A person needs to be able to look at your logo and get a feel for what your company does or offers. Logos help set the perception of the company.
- Scalable? Because logos are placed in a variety of different locations, they need to look the same and have the same impact whether they are on a billboard or only the size of a postage stamp. Scalability and simplicity go hand-in-hand.
- Versatile? Logos should be able to maintain their look on a variety of different colored backgrounds and mediums, not just a white piece of paper. This is where the addition of elements like drop shadows and gradients should be avoided.
- Unique? Logos should distinguish you from the competition. Logos that look too similar can confuse the consumer, and create the impression that your brand is the same as the other already established brand.
- Timeless? The best logos are ones that don’t need to be changed. Coca-Cola and Apple are great examples of designs that have stood the test of time, whereas Pepsi has chosen to change its logo roughly every ten years.
Creating a logo can seem like a daunting task. If you keep these principles in mind when designing a logo, the result should be a logo that effectively represents your company and drives brand recognition. Of course, like most things in marketing, it’s a lot easier said than done. That’s where Strategic Marketing can help—they can design the perfect logo for your business. Call them today at (561) 688-8155.